Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Fatherless Homes


Father Absence = Community Chaos Daniel Patrick Moynihan, a four-term U.S. Senator, had some very provocative thoughts when it came to fatherhood:  “From the wild Irish slums of the 19th century Eastern seaboard to the riot-torn suburbs of Los Angeles, there is one unmistakable lesson in American history: a community that allows a large number of young men to grow up in broken families ... never acquiring any stable relationship to male authority, never acquiring any set of rational expectations about the future – that community asks for and gets chaos.”
Those are indeed some strong words to say that men growing up without fathers causes chaos. I spoke with some young men that grow up without fathers and drew from my own experience and found out that there is some truth to this premise that men growing up without male authority tend to act out more frequently than those who do grow up with a father in the home. One young man I spoke with said that he had to learn how to be a man from the guys on the street corners cause he didn't have anybody at home to learn from. I myself had trouble with authority as I became a man believing that old adage "nobody could tell me nothing" because I was a man now. It's a fact that 85% of the youths in prisons are from fatherless homes. 90% of all the runways are from fatherless homes. I can go on and on with the statistics on high school dropouts and so fourth all because men in this country are not doing whats right by their own children.
It doesn't just mean physically being in the home is enough. Fathers need to step up and actually parent. Stats show that simply having a father does kids no good if that father shows them little to no attention at all and does not physically insert themselves in their child's life. We all know divorce and other tragedies are a huge part of life these days, but we urge all fathers that are able to please be a part of your kids life as much as you can and do your part to prevent chaos.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to create this blog. I am currently working on a presentation which covers the topic of fatherless homes. The topic is very sobering and very sad. I am a father of 4 and I cannot fathom the thought of how a man could leave his family. Thank you for caring enough to put this blog together. I am behind you-in spirit, and in prayer. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete